Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

December 11, 2013 Wednesday Mass Readings and Reflection - Come All Who Labor and Burdened



“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.” 
– Matthew 11:28


TAKE A BREAK

      Christmas break of 2011 was not a break at all for me. I brought home lots of work. Instead of spending it in quiet recollection, which I usually did in years past, I was working, catching up on deadlines.

       But one day, when I felt that my mind was getting drained and I could no longer write, I went out of the house and headed to the Greenbelt Chapel.

       There, I sat before the Crucified Christ and allowed Him to soothe my tired spirit.

    There, I went back to His arms and availed of the sacrament of reconciliation.

       There, I thanked Him for all the blessings and trials of the year about to end.

       There, I talked to Him of my hopes and wishes for the next year.

       After a few hours, I was back home — more at peace and inspired to face the coming year.
       Before the year 2013 ends, I hope to do it again and take a break in His presence. I hope you do, too. Tess V. Atienza


1ST READING 



Experiences do not always reflect the underlying truth or reality of everyone involved. Two people can experience the same event in very different ways. This is why we must always have an open mind when we have conflicts with others. Their perception of an event may not be the same as ours. Let us seek always to listen first, have compassion second, and, in all things, to love. Let us try to leave judgments out of it altogether.



Isaiah 40:25-31

27 [25] To whom can you liken me as an equal? Says the Holy One. 28 [26] Lift up your eyes on high and see who has created these things: He leads out their army and numbers them, calling them all by name. By his great might and the strength of his power not one of them is missing! 29 [27] Why, O Jacob, do you say, and declare, O Israel, “My way is hidden from the Lord, and my right is disregarded by my God”? 30 [28] Do you not know or have you not heard? The Lord is the eternal God, creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint nor grow weary, and his knowledge is beyond scrutiny. 31 [29] He gives strength to the fainting; for the weak he makes vigor abound. 32 [30] Though young men faint and grow weary, and youths stagger and fall, 33 [31] they that hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar as with eagles’ wings; they will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint.



P S A L M 


Psalm 103:1-2, 3-4, 8, 10

R: O bless the Lord, my soul!

1 Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all my being, bless his holy name. 2 Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits. (R) 3 He pardons all your iniquities, he heals all your ills. 4 He redeems your life from destruction, he crowns you with kindness and compassion. (R) 8 Merciful and gracious is the Lord, slow to anger and abounding in kindness. 10 Not according to our sins does he deal with us, nor does he requite us according to our crimes. (R)



GOSPEL



Jesus wants to help us in our trials; He wants to unburden us of the yoke of the law that can weigh us down needlessly. The Law can become a burden when seen or experienced apart from the love of God. It will not serve us well if we experience it as a burden. Jesus wants to transform our perception of the law and help us to always see it in terms of the demands of love in our relationships with God and each other.


Matthew 11:28-30

28 Jesus said to the crowds: “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for your selves. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”


REFLECTION

STRENGTH TO THE FAINTING



          There is something about the fast approaching Christmas that makes us all look at life and everything associated with it a little differently. The air literally gets nippier, people look happier, and time itself seems to move faster. Expectant anticipation seems to build ever so gradually towards an undefined high point, lending itself to an unstoppable crescendo as Simbang Gabi opens in a few days’ time.

       I have been reflecting on this phenomenon since I started celebrating Masses 30 years ago. There was a time I thought it all had to do with material gifts, with special food, and with mirth-making available only to those who had money to spare. Now, I am having more than just second thoughts about it. Yes, the whole country joyfully awaits Christmas. No, it is not true that only the rich await it with wide-eyed expectation and runaway anticipation.

       So, if it’s not about material things, then what is it all about? What explains the growing and glowing excitement that is equaled only by the lavish Christmas lights that we see all over?

       This question is not any different from another I ask myself very often. Whenever I see people in pain, people who are hurting indescribably, people who should have “lost it” long ago, but who keep trudging on with faith and hope in their hearts, then I think I have an answer — the very same answer given us today by the prophet, who stood witness to the untold suffering of a people thrown into bitter exile in Babylon!

       It was not material things that kept them alive. Neither was it a dream or longing for something else tangible, palpable and  quantifiable. Their hopes were not riveted on things and actions, but on a person!

       Isaiah could not have put it any better when he wrote: “The Lord is the eternal God!… He does not faint nor grow weary… He gives strength to the fainting and vigor to the weak!”

       Come now, Lord, do not delay! Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB

 "Jesus, help me to see that You are the reason for this season. I put my hope and trust in You."

No comments:

Post a Comment