Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

January 13, 2014 Monday Mass Readings and Reflection - Fishers Of Men



Jesus said, “...and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him. – Mark 1:17-18


FAMILY MINISTRY

       As a wife and mom, I have a unique ministry. It’s called “the De Luna ministry,” and is composed of two people: my husband and my son. I came to realize this when I started slowing down after becoming a mom. At the time, my concept of serving God and following Him meant being immersed in the music ministry, giving retreats, or writing for the newsletter of our community.

       These things had to take a backseat when I became a mom. It’s not that they were no longer important — they were. But I believe my family is my first ministry and I have to serve them first if I were to bring them closer to God.

       Today, I may not be serving God in a “big” manner, but it doesn’t matter. I take my ministry as a mother seriously because it’s where God has called me to serve at this point in my life.
       Following the Lord won’t be the same for everyone. In fact, we all take different roads to get to the Father’s heart. As His disciples, we can follow Him differently but with the same love. In the same way, when we “fish for men,” we do so using the unique gifts God has given us. What makes this so awesome is that everyone becomes useful and has a unique purpose to fulfill. Martine de Luna 



1ST READING 


Fertility and infertility are strong images in any religious setting. The former is seen as a sign of blessing from God and the latter a curse. This is at the heart of Hannah’s unhappiness — she sees herself as rejected by God due to her inability to bear a child. We now know that there are many ways in which a person’s fertility can be adversely affected and, thus, do not attribute the same religious significance to it.


1 Samuel 1:1-8

1 There was a certain man from Ramathaim, Elkanah by name, a Zuphite from the hill country of Ephraim. He was the son of Jeroham, son of Elihu, son of Tohu, son of Zuph, an Ephraimite. 2 He had two wives, one named Hannah, the other Peninnah; Peninnah had children, but Hannah was childless. 3 This man regularly went on pilgrimage from his city to worship the Lord of hosts and to sacrifice to him at Shiloh, where the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, were ministering as priests of the Lord. 4 When the day came for Elkanah to offer sacrifice, he used to give a portion each to his wife Peninnah and to all her sons and daughters, 5 but a double portion to Hannah because he loved her, though the Lord had made her barren. 6 Her rival, to upset her, turned it into a constant reproach to her that the Lord had left her barren. 7 This went on year after year; each time they made their pilgrimage to the sanctuary of the Lord, Peninnah would approach her, and Hannah would weep and refuse to eat. 8 Her husband Elkanah used to ask her: “Hannah, why do you weep, and why do you refuse to eat? Why do you grieve? Am I not more to you than ten sons?”



P S A L M 

Psalm 116:12-13, 14-16, 18-19

R: To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.

12 How shall I make a return to the Lord for all the good he has done for me? 13 The cup of salvation I will take up, and I will call upon the name of the Lord. (R) 14 My vows to the Lord I will pay in the presence of all his people. 15 Precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones. 16 O Lord, I am your servant; I am your servant, the son of your handmaid; you have loosed my bonds. (R) 18 My vows to the Lord I will pay in the presence of all his people, 19 in the courts of the house of the Lord, in your midst, O Jerusalem. (R)



GOSPEL


What does it mean to be a fisher of men? I believe that this is everyone’s calling in varying degrees. It is not necessarily about going out there and reeling in conversions for the Church but living our lives faithfully and allowing our faith experiences to be used by God to inspire others to follow His call as well.



Mark 1:14-20

14 After John had been arrested, Jesus came to Galilee proclaiming the Gospel of God: 15“This is the time of fulfillment. The kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the Gospel.” 16 As he passed by the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting their nets into the sea; they were fishermen. 17 Jesus said to them, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.” 18 Then they left their nets and followed him. 19 He walked along a little farther and saw James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They too were in a boat mending their nets. 20 Then he called them. So they left their father Zebedee in the boat along with the hired men and followed him.



REFLECTION
ENCOUNTERING GOD EVEN IN DAILY ROUTINE


           Brothers in the Bible do not have a good record. Cain killed his brother Abel. Jacob cheated his brother Esau. But Jesus seemingly had no qualms about having brothers among His disciples. There were many fishermen working on the Lake of Galilee, but Jesus chose brothers from all these fishermen — Simon and Andrew, John and James. They were simple, ordinary people without a university degree. Jesus did not look so much on what they were but on what they would become by following Him.

       Jesus called them not when they visited the Temple in Jerusalem. He called them in the ordinariness of their daily work. We, too, don’t have to wait until we are in church to hear God’s call. He is present everywhere, even in the dullness of daily routine. The Jesuit spirituality of “finding God in all things” invites us to search for and find God in every circumstance of life, not just in explicitly religious situations or activities.

       And so, we can do our daily work in the presence of God and do it for Him. Spiritual writers call this transformation of daily work and routine as “sanctification of work.” It is the condition for being guided by Him every hour of the day and “hearing” His call as the four brothers heard Jesus’ call.

       “Follow me!” Jesus did not give long explanations or even tell them where He would lead them. And they didn’t ask either. They just left everything behind and became Jesus’ companions for the rest of their lives. They might have heard Him preach before.  Nevertheless, to follow Jesus without hesitation is something we can only admire.

       Young people now face more and more difficulties in responding to God’s call. Insecurities about themselves, worries about their families, and bad influences have become major obstacles to following Christ. As you read this reflection, please say a prayer for all the young people whom Christ has called to the priestly and religious life and have difficulties making the positive decision to follow Christ’s call. Fr. Rudy Horst, SVD


 "Lord, make me open and sensitive to Your constant presence in my life. Help all those You call to be able to overcome the obstacles they face that they may say a generous yes to Your call."

No comments:

Post a Comment