Pages

Friday, April 11, 2014

April 11, 2014 Friday Mass Readings and Reflection - The Persecution of Jesus



If I do not perform my Father’s works, do not believe me; 38 but if I perform them, even if you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may realize and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.” -John 10:37-38


JESUS' FACTOR

        God’s anointing is surging. The Holy Mass is life-giving. The worship is energizing. The music is rejuvenating. The servants are enthusiastic. The congregation is vibrant. The talks are life-changing. The numbers are growing.
       This is what happens at The Feast, our weekly prayer meetings all over the Philippines and the world.

       It’s called momentum.

       It’s as if it’s just a dream. Because four years ago, we were lethargic. The events were disorganized. The music was bland. The servants were disoriented.

       But what happened? The God of momentum overhauled our spiritual engine! He fueled our momentum. Momentum has now become our new middle name.

       This isn’t a miracle.

       It’s called the Jesus factor.

       Because of Him, miracles become ordinary.

       So fire up your engine!

       Brooooooooooom! Obet Cabrillas



1ST READING 




Jeremiah was often in conflict with the authorities of his day as he refused to back down from speaking the truth that they were failing to follow God’s Law. He is truly an inspiration, as it would have been easier to comply with what they asked of him. However, Jeremiah put God’s will before his own comfort. Let us pray for the courage to do the same if we find ourselves in a similar situation.




Jeremiah 20:10-13

10 I hear the whisperings of many, “Terror on every side! Denounce! Let us denounce him!” All those who were my friends are on the watch for any misstep of mine. “Perhaps he will be trapped; then we can prevail, and take our vengeance on him.” 11 But the Lord is with me, like a mighty champion, my persecutors will stumble, they will not triumph. In their failure they will be put to utter shame, to lasting, unforgettable confusion. 12 O Lord of hosts, you who test the just, who probe mind and heart, let me witness the vengeance you take on them, for to you I have entrusted my cause. 13 Sing to the Lord, praise the Lord, for he has rescued the life of the poor from the power of the wicked!





P S A L M 




Psalm 18:2-3, 3-4, 5-6, 7

R: In my distress I called upon the Lord, and he heard my voice.

1 [2] I love you, O Lord, my strength, 2 [3] O Lord, my rock, my fortress, my deliverer. (R) My God, my rock of refuge, my shield, the horn of my salvation, my stronghold! 3 [4] Praised be the Lord, I exclaim, and I am safe from my enemies. (R) 4 [5] The breakers of death surged round about me, the destroying floods overwhelmed me; 5 [6] the cords of the nether world enmeshed me, the snares of death overtook me. (R) 6 [7] In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried out to my God; from his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears. (R)





GOSPEL




It seems quite odd that the Jews could accuse Jesus of blasphemy when it is obvious that He is a very holy man, in that He worked so many miracles. Selfishness and self-preservation have the power to blind us from the truth and the cares and concerns of others. This is why it is always important to realize that our faith is not just an individual reality but has a communal dimension as well.




John 10:31-42

31 The Jews picked up rocks to stone Jesus. 32 Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from my Father. For which of these are you trying to stone me?” 33 The Jews answered him, “We are not stoning you for a good work but for blasphemy. You, a man, are making yourself God.” 34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, “You are gods” ’? 35 If it calls them gods to whom the word of God came, and Scripture cannot be set aside, 36 can you say that the one whom the Father has consecrated and sent into the world blasphemes because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’? 37 If I do not perform my Father’s works, do not believe me; 38 but if I perform them, even if you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may realize and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.” 39 Then they tried again to arrest him; but he escaped from their power. 40 He went back across the Jordan to the place where John first baptized, and there he remained. 41 Many came to him and said, “John performed no sign, but everything John said about this man was true.” 42 And many there began to believe in him. 


REFLECTION

YOU ARE GOD’S



       Aside from the violations that Jesus did against the Sabbath regulations, His claim that He and the Father are one was another big issue for the Jews. The Jews questioned the words of Jesus about this because of their strict belief that God is only one and there can be no other. Also, the Jews believed that God is truly majestic, completely above everything, totally other, and fully transcendent. The Temple housed the Ark of the Covenant, the sacramental of God’s Presence in the Old Testament, beyond a veiled section known as the Holy of Holies to stress the chasm between God and Israel, His people. The Jews regarded God with holy fear and deep worship. Even the name of God was revered as too sacred to be pronounced by anyone.

       In our time, secularism and science have entered strongly into people’s ways and thoughts. The danger now is that God is never mentioned and pronounced. But this is so, not because of any deep respect for God, but because of indifference to Him. The issue of God is thought by many today as better left to individual lives and convictions. Hence, things have moved from one end of the pendulum to another.

       The truth of the matter is, we are all made in the image and likeness of God, and through Jesus Christ we are even given more dignity as adopted children of God, co-heirs with Jesus to eternity. To draw a line that deeply separates God from our lives and our affairs (religious and otherwise) —either because of deep misguided religiosity, or because of loud secularism — is not in accordance with Christian Revelation. In a way, Jesus’ incarnation into our world and our humanity has divinized our human lives. Jesus’ becoming man has made God assume once again everything in this world as part of His Kingdom. In fact, when Jesus began His preaching, His opening lines rang clearly: “The Kingdom of God is at hand!” Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP


 "O Mighty Spirit of God, overhaul our hearts and spirits. We start our engine with faith. We maintain it with hope. We oil it with love. And we gas up on Your grace!"


No comments:

Post a Comment