Pages

Saturday, February 22, 2014

February 22, 2014 -Saturday Mass Readings and Reflection - Peter As The Rock And Keeper Of The Kingdom



The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want. 
– Psalm 23:1

COMPLETE

       I need to excel first to be great. I need to experience the same hurt to be forgiven. I need to please others to be loved. I need to have all the expertise first to become a champion. I need more time and money before I can serve the Lord.

       This was me before I had a one-on-one talk with a brother.

       I lived in a world with a lot of “need to haves” before I could become the person God wants me to be. But I later learned that I had been deceived. None of the things I thought I needed defined me.

       No wonder there are times when God allows us to be stripped of everything so that we could understand that when He is all that we have, we’ll learn that He is all that we need.

       The truth is contained in our Psalm today. “The Lord is my shepherd, there is nothing I lack” (italics mine).
       Yes, we have needs. Yes, there are things we need to work on. But that doesn’t change the fact that we are beautiful. That we are forgiven. That we are loved. Yes, we are complete! Dreus Cosio



1ST READING 


Peter was the spokesman for the Apostles. As we reflect upon his life today, and the significance of the role of the Pope as he was the first, let us pray for all our leaders and the difficult task they embrace for the sake of the Kingdom of God.  It is never easy to lead — the responsibility of being an example in the image of Jesus is a big call. Let us keep our leaders in our prayers and ask God to give them the grace they need to do their jobs well.


1 Peter 5:1-4

1 Beloved: I exhort the presbyters among you, as a fellow presbyter and witness to the sufferings of Christ and one who has a share in the glory to be revealed. 2 Tend the flock of God in your midst, overseeing not by constraint but willingly, as God would have it, not for shameful profit but eagerly. 3 Do not lord it over those assigned to you, but be examples to the flock. 4 And when the chief Shepherd is revealed, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.




P S A L M 


Psalm 23:1-3, 4, 5, 6

R: The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 In verdant pastures he gives me repose; beside restful waters he leads me; 3 he refreshes my soul. (R) 4 Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage. (R) 5 You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. (R) 6 Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for years to come. (R)




GOSPEL


A leader is always invested with certain authority, depending on the nature of his or her task. As followers we must respect their authority, provided we are not asked to do anything against our conscience, and follow their lead. This is why leadership is never easy — a leader has no right to ask anyone to do what he or she is unwilling to do. Leadership by example is a must.




Matthew 16:13-19

13 When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. 18 And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”


REFLECTION 

THE KEYS TO HAPPINESS


        Priests are given the immense responsibility of taking care of the people of God. And for someone like me who grew up in a big family, this seemed an easy responsibility — but not until I was assigned as parish priest for nearly a decade at Sto. Niño de Tondo Parish and now as director of the Archdiocesan Catholic Charismatic Renewal Ministries of Manila since 2003.

       My biggest and most fulfilling mission, however, is to be with the retired priests of the Archdiocese of Manila housed at the Cardinal Sin Welcome Home (CSWH). In the beginning, I thought I would not fit in with my housemates, as people would describe me as full of energy and happy, the opposite of those I would be called to be with and, in a way, take care of.

       Sooner, though, I realized that the same characteristics people ascribe to me are exactly what my senior priests need — one who can laugh with them, entertain them, and show eagerness for life even after retirement.

       Even in old age, priests still want to serve, and I bear witness to their desire to still be in active service. Their physical strength dictates otherwise though. What they lack in activity, they make up for in inspiration.

       In 2011, while on sabbatical studies in California, I chanced upon a book, Why Priests Are Happy. Returning home in December that year, I found out that the priests in the Archdiocese of Manila had received the same book as a Christmas gift. The book captures the disposition of the retired priests in CSWH: A happy priest is a man of communion. He shares his life, emotions and challenges with others. A happy priest is someone who values priestly fraternity and mutual support.

       “Sharing and giving” are key to a happy life. We must always be open to others so they may fill us. It is like saying, “God, I give myself to You. I am Your vessel.” Like Peter in the Gospel today, may we become bearers of the keys to the Kingdom — the Kingdom of endless joy and perfect grace beginning today, right now, right where we are planted. Fr. Erick Y. Santos, OFS


 "Thank You for Your love, Lord, and for making my life complete."



No comments:

Post a Comment