Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

February 26, 2014 - Wednesday Mass Readings and Reflections - Anyone Who Is Not Against Us Is For Us



 You have no idea what your life will be like tomorrow. You are a puff of smoke that appears briefly and then disappears. – James 4:14

THE LONG AND SHORT OF IT

       A wake has a way of making you reflect on your life. Especially if the person you’re visiting died young.
       The other day, I came from two wakes. One was for a 50-year-old businesswoman who had left behind a husband, their five-year-old son, and their barely one-year-old dream house. The other was for a 95-year-old grandma who had left behind three children, 14 grandkids and 16 great grandkids.
       Comparing the two women, it’s easy to think that my friend who died in her 50s had her life cut short. She could have had so many other experiences and accomplished many other dreams. I couldn’t help but think of the plans she had made with her husband that will remain unfulfilled. I also thought of the many years her son will grow up missing his mother. But knowing how my friend lived and died, I can say that she faithfully stewarded the years that the Lord had entrusted to her.
       In the end, it’s not how many years we lived but how we lived those years. Whether we live long or not, we want to leave behind a legacy of faithfulness for those who will come after us. Rissa Singson-Kawpeng

1ST READING
 
What really matters in life? Is it the amount of money we hope to make in a lifetime? Is it the acclaim of the world regarding how brilliant we are at a particular sport or intellectual pursuit? Is it whether or not we gain eternal life? The former things are for this world only — we cannot take any of it with us when we die. Eternal life is forever. This is what James reminds us of in the reading today. He is not saying that we should not work hard at our jobs but he is encouraging us to keep things in their proper perspective.
 
James 4:13-17
13 Beloved: Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we shall go into such and such a town, spend a year there doing business, and make a profit 14 you have no idea what your life will be like tomorrow. You are a puff of smoke that appears briefly and then disappears. 15 Instead you should say, “If the Lord wills it, we shall live to do this or that.” 16 But now you are boasting in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. 17So for one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, it is a sin.
 
 
P S A L M
 
Psalm 49:2-3, 6-7, 8-10, 11
R: Blessed are the poor in spirit; the Kingdom of heaven is theirs!
1 [2] Hear this, all you peoples; hearken, all who dwell in the world, 2 [3] of lowly birth or high degree, rich and poor alike. (R) 5 [6] Why should I fear in evil days when my wicked ensnarers ring me round? 6 [7] They trust in their wealth; the abundance of their riches is their boast. (R) 7 [8] Yet in no way can a man redeem himself, or pay his own ransom to God; 8 [9] too high is the price to redeem one’s life; he would never have enough 9 [10] to remain alive always and not see destruction. (R) 10 [11] For he can see that wise men die, and likewise the senseless and the stupid pass away, leaving to others their wealth. (R)
 
 
GOSPEL
 
Jesus is not worried about competition if it is about the truth. If someone is truly working for the Kingdom of God, we should help them and not hinder them, even if we may not totally agree with them in every aspect of doctrine and belief. If the basis is there for a healthy relationship, it does not matter that the relationship is not yet perfect.
 
 
Mark 9:38-40
38 John said to Jesus, “Teacher, we saw someone driving out demons in your name, and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow us.” think: If someone is truly working for the Kingdom of God, we should help them and not hinder them. 39 Jesus replied, “Do not prevent him. There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name who can at the same time speak ill of me. 40 For whoever is not against us is for us.”


REFLECTION
 
HE WILLS
 
       In high school, groups of seminarians would go to our school to conduct vocation campaigns and awareness seminars. But I particularly remember the leaders of Youth Marian Crusade, especially Aloy Aliño (now a priest of the Diocese of Cubao) who quoted today’s First Reading: “You have no idea what your life will be like tomorrow. Instead, say, ‘If the Lord wills it.’”
       It lingered with me for some time but made a shallow impact on me then, until Jesus manifested His personal call to me to the priesthood. At that time, when I was seriously considering priesthood, it was clear to me that I wanted to be a missionary, without fully realizing what it meant or what it would require. Growing up, I had a fascination to be in mission. I enjoyed participating in immersion and outreach programs. I was attracted to the immense possibility of the world outside my comfort zone.
       I eventually entered the Our Lady of the Angels Franciscan Seminary where, inspired by the missionary heart of St. Francis and his followers, I was introduced to the fascinating challenge of foreign missions.
       But the Lord had another plan. I did not become a missionary in a foreign land. Instead, my assignments as a priest were in Pasig, Malabon, and eventually in Tondo, where I was pastor of different parishes for almost 19 years. I had no idea how I would turn out; I only knew that whoever and whatever I am today, it is because of the Lord. Because He willed it. He wills it.
       Looking back, most people who knew me then said that my decision to enter the seminary was radical. I thought so, too. In fact, I considered myself anything but priestly. But that is precisely how Jesus called His first disciples. He chose, and made them worthy, no matter how radical it all seemed. And like how I was inspired years ago to take the first step to respond to His call to the priesthood, may I also be a testimony to others, now as a priest, in following Him concretely through active witnessing to His love — to always be for Him, and Him alone. Fr. Erick Y. Santos, OFS


 "Lord Jesus, may I always be ready to obey Your will."

No comments:

Post a Comment